tisdag, november 28, 2017

Igår för 165 år sedan...


Nov 27th

  Almost an Indian summer day. The shrub oaks & the sprouts make woods you can look down on -they are now our rustling gardens  The leaves of the former are now a very handsome leather color -whiter on the underside -clear & firm. Smooth and not shrivelled nor dimmed -It is a new color for a garden.
  Something foreign & oriental even it suggests. I find acorns which have sent a shoot down into the earth this fall.
  Like many of my contemporaries I had rarely for many years used animal food or tea, &c &c not so much because of any ill effects which I had traced to them in my own case, though I could theorize extensively in that direction as because it was not agreeable to live low & fare hard in many respects, and though I never did so I went just far enough to please my imagination. But now I find myself somewhat less particular in these respects -I carry less religion to the table, ask no blessing -not because I am wiser than I was -but I am obliged to confess, because, however much it is to be regretted, with years I have grown more coarse and indifferent. The repugnance to animal food and the rest is not the result of experience -but is an instinct.

H.D Thoreau

ur "Journal  Volume 5: 1852-1853"


Inga kommentarer: